Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mini Brief Three

One thing I find really interesting about photoshop is that there are so many ways to do the same thing. For example, one of those things is selections. There are SO many way to select things!! Learning about these was actually very worthwhile, while it wasn't quite as fun as the other briefs had been so far, it still really great to learn.

We learned about the following tools.




and


The one I found the best to use was the colour range selection, this was particularly good when I was trying to isolate between background and kitchen utensils in this task. For example, I took a lot of my images on our orange bench top and many of our utensils are black and silver so they were easy to select due to the very diverse colours of the items.

For example: 

In this instance I could select the black spatular in the colour range by pressing the plus eye dropper button on the utensil to select it and the minus eye dropper button on the surrounding areas in order to make sure I didn't select any background. Here you can see how I was able to select the right area. 


There were many other ways which we learned to make selections such as the quick selection tool, the marquee tool, the pen tool and the magic wand tool. But it was colour range that proved to be a very successful and reliable selection tool for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment